Mother’s Day means something different to each of us. Maybe you celebrate your birth mother, grandmother, mentor or you yourself are now a mom. For me, Mother’s Day is a day to celebrate the amazing mother figures in our lives. I have numerous strong women in my life that I can thank for providing a mothering role. I’m so lucky to be friends with my mom and live so close to her – sometimes too close.
Mom has inspired and fed many of my passions and is a constant cheerleader for me. The earliest memories with her are in the kitchen, watching her and always wanting to help! I felt it was fitting for us to make this rhubarb crisp together in honor of her, my endless encourager!
- 4 cups finely chopped rhubarb
- 1 cup raspberries
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons minute tapioca
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 spelt flour (can also use all purpose)
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (one stick) butter, room temperature
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease a 9x9 baking dish and set aside.
- Mix together the cleaned and prepared rhubarb, raspberries and blueberries.
- Add the sugar, tapioca, zest, juice and vanilla.
- Pour into prepared baking dish and prepare the crumble topping.
- Combine the flour, oats, sugar, cardamon and salt. Mix together and add the butter.
- Using fingers, combine the butter and dry ingredients until completely combined.
- Evenly sprinkle the crumble over the fruit.
- Place on parchment-lined baking sheet and bake in preheated oven until bubbling throughout and browned on top, 45-60 minutes. If the top gets too brown, cover with foil.
- Remove from oven and cool 30 minutes to one hour.
Video and images by The Gray Boxwood