Honestly, I don’t know a lot about tres leches cake other than that it traditionally has three milks poured over it – and that I love it! This cake takes the word moist to a whole new level. This isn’t just moist, but is saturated with sweet milks that flavor the cake and give a texture unlike any other. Since I’m not a traditionalist on this recipe, I didn’t mind making up my own and tailoring it to Saint Patrick’s Day! If you follow me, you know I’m not a beer lover but give me a good Irish cream and I’m there. So why not swap out one of the milks for a delicious Irish cream! Did I mention that this also uses Dulce de leche?! If you’re not sure what that is, you will thank me. I feel festive just talking about it!
A simple cake dressed up with delicious Irish cream and finished with freshly whipped cream: if this doesn’t say happy Saint Patrick’s Day, I don’t know what will!
- 1 1/2 sticks butter, room temperature
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 1/4 cups flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 14-ounce can dulce de leche (can also use sweetened condensed milk)
- 1 1/4 cup whole milk
- 1 cup Irish cream liquor
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, 5 minutes.
- Add the eggs one by one, letting them incorporate as well as the vanilla.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt.
- Alternately add the dry ingredients with the milk beginning and ending with the dry. Do not over mix after the remaining flour is added. Finish mixing with a spatula.
- Pour into a greased 9x13 pan and bake 25-35 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean and cake begins to pull in around the edges.
- Remove and cool slightly. While cooling, mix the milks together.
- Using a fork, poke holes all over the cake.
- Pour the milk mixture over the warm cake slowly, allowing the milks to be absorbed.
- Cover the cake and chill 4-6 hours or overnight.
- To finish the cake, whip 2 cups heavy whipping cream with 2 tablespoons sour cream, 1/4 cup sugar and 1 teaspoon vanilla to stiff peaks. Smooth cream over the top of cake and serve!
Video and images by The Gray Boxwood