Now that you have my favorite and quick pizza crust recipe, you may as well know my go-to pizza toppings. As a kid, I loved experimenting with pizzas. This is one of my creations that stuck. Friends and family always ask for the sausage, pesto and spinach pizza and I easily oblige because I love it too. This is exactly why pizza is so much fun: you can create what you love. I admit, I lean towards topping-heavy pizzas and this sturdy crust lends well to a lot of toppings.
- one prebaked pizza crust
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1/2 pound ground pork
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon minced thyme leaves
- 2 tablespoons minced parsley
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3/4 cup chopped cremini mushrooms
- 1/2 cup onion
- 1/2 cup basil pesto
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Over medium heat, toast fennel seeds for 45 seconds to 1 minute, until fragrant.
- Add ground pork, salt, black pepper and nutmeg. Brown mixture, breaking up with wooden spoon. While the meat is browning, add thyme, parsley, onion and garlic.
- Finish by adding the mushrooms and cook until the meat is evenly browned and the mushrooms have softened. Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
- To assemble pizza, spread prepared pesto on prebaked crust. Top with spinach, meat mixture, sliced mozzarella, Parmesan cheese and feta cheese.
- Bake in preheated oven 15-20 minutes until the cheese is melted and beginning to bubble. Remove from oven and cool for 5 minutes. Slice and serve.
I love these flavors and cannot wait to hear what you all think! It feels like I’m having you all over for a pizza party!
Video and images by The Gray Boxwood