Soup is a staple in my home. No matter the time of year, I can be in the mood for a cozy bowl. Soup can be as intense or simple as you want and this tomato variety could not be any easier. The simple ingredients really help the tomato flavor shine through. You can put this together after work and enjoy homemade soup anytime. Don’t worry: I didn’t forget about the grilled cheese!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3/4 cup diced onion
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 2 28-ounce cans diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 roasted red pepper (1/2 cup)
- 2 tablespoons sun dried tomatoes (optional)
- 1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- Heat oil in large kettle over medium high heat.
- Add onion and salt and pepper. Sauté 3-5 minutes until translucent.
- Add celery and carrots and season with additional salt. Continue to sauté until the vegetables begin to soften, another 5 minutes.
- Add sherry vinegar and cook 1 minute.
- Add tomatoes, roasted pepper and sundried tomatoes.
- Bring to a boil then turn down to a simmer and cover. Let simmer 30-40 minutes.
- Using an immersion blender or standard blender, purée soup, leaving a little texture. Taste and season as needed. If too acidic, add a teaspoon or two of sugar. Keep warm while making grilled Parmesan crisps and grilled cheese sandwich.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Make 4 1/4-cup piles of cheese on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Sprinkle with pepper. Bake 10-15 minutes until melted and lightly browned.
- Remove from oven and cool until crispy.
Serve soup with a sprinkle of basil, grilled cheese and Parmesan crips! This is perfect for a Valentine’s Day dinner or weeknight meal!
Video and images by The Gray Boxwood